"My House is a Wreck!"

Hi! I am Elizabeth. Things have been happening pretty fast in my life! I
just married Mr. Right, became a stepmother to two fabulous kiddos, and had a
new baby- all in the last year and a half! Add a couple of moves and my 36th
birthday in there and you will understand why I am feeling the need to record
this crazy stage of our lives! At least now I can come back and read about it
someday- I know I won't remember! Oh, and keep in mind that I while I am posting
the good memories and high points of our daily life- my house really is a wreck!


Monday, March 15, 2010

Beware the Ides of March!

Hello! I hope that everyone is having a good day! Watch your step and keep your wits about you- it is the Ides of March!! Julius Ceasar was murdered on this day in the year 44BC! And the famous saying "Beware the Ides of March" was written in Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar! So with the literary theme in mind I want to make two book recommendations! The first is for grown-ups, and the second is for kids (or the young-at-heart)!



1. I haven't read much for pleasure since John Stephen was born, but I did read a great book a few months ago that you have to read!!



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



Now, I will read fluffy, chic-lit whenever I feel like it, but do not lump this book into that category because of the cutesy title. Please, DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER! This is a delightful story about pen pals after World War II. It takes you back to the German occupation of Guernsey, one of the British Isles. Anyway, it is one of my favorites that I've read in a while, and you should keep it in mind if you are looking for a good read!



2. And secondly, I have tried to read books with Sydney whenever she is going to be here for a long enough stretch to complete a whole book. I hope to show her how much enjoyment can be found in books, and it is something we can do together that doesn't make a mess. So, we were thrilled when Santa brought the complete box set of Laura Ingalls Wilder books!! Sydney is 7, and these are perfect for her reading level. We pile up on my bed, and I read to her. She reads a chapter to me here and there. The first book, Little House in the Big Woods was great, and I think she liked it. We started the second book, Farmer Boy, which hasn't interested her as much. But I am hooked! I have read it the past couple of nights because I have to see what happens!!



The Little House Books


I will pull these out and read them to John Stephen when he is older. The stories about bears, bobsleds, making homemade candy, and farming are very appropriate for a little boy or girl!



And, on another topic, the Baptism was GREAT! I will be back soon with pics and stories! Today, we are recovering from the busy weekend and the TIME CHANGE! I heard a DJ on the radio say "Quit complaining about the time change! It's just like going to New York for the weekend! Get Over IT People! " He has a point, but it does seem hard to adjust!


No comments:

Post a Comment